The Twist Fate Challenge
March 6 – April 6, 2016
When you think about it, any hero could become a villain, and any villain, a hero. It wouldn't take much. A small change, a tiny twist of fate, a white suit or a red lightsaber, and things could be completely different.
Twist Fate is a month-long challenge for youth ages 13-17 that will kick off during Teen Tech Week on March 6, 2016 at two online communities of writers and artists: DeviantArt and Wattpad . The challenge is a pilot of a collaborative partnership between Wattpad and DeviantArt with The Young Adult Library Association and the National Writing Project as part of the Connected Learning Alliance.
During the month, youth will be challenged to pick a story and character, and create an alternate scenario where a famous hero is the villain, or an infamous villain, the hero. They can work in their favorite modes and mediums, including pictures, written stories, comic panels, illustrations, etc. (NOTE: the final submission must be in a file format accepted by DeviantArt or Wattpad, depending on where the work is submitted).
How to participate:
- View the archives of a webinar series meant to introduce educators to the Twist Fate Challenge and to the Wattpad community of writers and DeviantArt network of artists: From Heroes to Villains or Back Again: A Wattpad/DeviantArt "Twist Fate" Challenge with Wattpad and DeviantArt
- Find related resources that are being gathered in an open document — feel free to add if you have suggestions!
- Follow and share at #TwistFate and #connectedlearning.
- Download the poster to print and share; available in both full color and B&W.
- Support youth you work with in connecting with the challenge starting March 6, 2016
Related resources from Educator Innovator:
- Connecting the Creative Sparks of Young Makers to Supportive Communities of Practice
- Storytelling and Making Redefined: Get to Know the Wattpad Community
- Meet the "Deviants": Networked Artists and Makers of
For more information, contact Christina Cantrill at firstname.lastname@example.org.