Last year, hundreds of teens from across America met weekly over Zoom to inspire each other, write together, and share. This year, we’re running it back! Join us for another fun summer with the Teens Write Across America Marathon.
Hosted by teen writers for teen writers, this writing marathon will take participants around the country from Kansas City, MO to the Emerald Cost of Florida to Los Angeles, CA to Long Island, NY and beyond! Join us to cultivate a writer’s eye, ear, and mind while writing and sharing in a judgement-free, supportive community of writers.
The Writing Marathon will meet every Wednesday from July 21, 2022 to August 17, 2022 for 90-minute sessions from 8:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. ET/7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. CT/6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. MT/5:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. PT. This marathon is open to all teen writers, experienced or just starting out!
Each week, young writers will be inspired by a new virtual host location. A peer Writing Ambassador will lead the group in writing and sharing exercises. Writers celebrate each other at the end of each session by sharing their favorite lines. No criticism is offered, just a simple “Thank you for sharing.”
All participants are invited back on Saturday, September 24, 2022 to share one piece of writing with teachers and authors from around the country for revisions. This is a chance to polish up a piece you’re proud of to enter in the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards.
How to Participate
You will receive a unique link from Zoom to join each event. Be sure to save your link.
- Wednesday, July 21, 8:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. ET: Kansas City, MO (Hosted by the Greater Kansas City Writing Project)
- Wednesday, July 27, 8:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. ET: Emerald Coast, FL (Hosted by the Emerald Coast Writing Project at UWF)
- Wednesday, August 3, 8:00 p.m.– 9:30 p.m. ET: Los Angeles, CA (Hosted by the Los Angeles Writing Project)
- Wednesday, August 10, 8:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. ET: TBD
- Wednesday, August 17, 8:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m. ET: Long Island, NY (Hosted by the Long Island Writing Project)
- Saturday, September 24, 12:00 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. ET: Revisions to prepare for the Scholastic Awards
Teens Write Across America Marathon was created by the National Writing Project in collaboration with the Alliance for Young Artists & Writers, the nonprofit organization that presents the Scholastic Art & Writing Awards.